SummaryNavigator solves the following issues for me:
- it directs me (in bird flight) to the start location of the course
- it keeps me on track by following the detailed course line
- it warns me before turns
- it shows me my important metrics while I’m navigating
- it shows me my position within the course at all times which motivates me to keep progressing the course
- As it is a data field I can integrate this in any Garmin native activity profile and combine this with other data fields of my choice
You will see all these things in 1 single screen (configurable through app settings):
- Zoomed-In route (200m scale) to show you the details of the turns you need to take
- Route overview map showing your overall position within the course
- All important data metrics you want to see: heart rate, speed, distance, time, etc…
InstallationInstallation requires several steps which are described below.
Step 1: download the data field and configure to use it on your watch on a layout with 1 field
Download the data field from the app store here https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/865d1d3b-9cff-4253-b985-1eeb98ac3374
Then configure an activity profile (eg Run) to use this data field in a layout with 1 field.
The video below shows how to install one of my other data fields, follow the below instructions but select the “Navigator” field (instead of “Peter’s (Race) Pacer”)
Step 2: Sign up for an account at dynamic.watch and create your first route
Visit https://dynamic.watch/ and sign up for a new account
Create a new route for example by uploading a gpx file
After uploading the route, click on “Back” or the “X” icon to close the edit screen and make sure that this route is marked as your active route (the clock icon is black next to your active route)
Step 3: Link dynamic.watch with the Navigator app
The Navigator app uses the Partner App Code system from dynamic.watch to download the routes, before you can use this system, you need to enable this “Partner App Code” system.
Click on “Link your device” and then click on “Click to enable”
Copy the Partner Access Code to the Clipboard
Step 4: Configure the application settings of Navigator
Go to Garmin Connect Mobile and Paste the Partner Access Code into the Application Settings of the Navigator App.
(My settings are in dutch but the above screenshots should give you the general idea, click on the pic to enlarge)
Step 5: Start the data field and wait for the route to be downloaded
- On your watch go into the activity profile (eg Run) to which you added the Navigator data field to (you did this in step 1)
- Start Garmin Connect Mobile and synchronize your device (this action will force an active bluetooth connection and make the download of the route faster)
- Wait for the route to be downloaded (this can take up to 5 minutes)
FAQQ1. The data field shows “No Route (see FAQ)”
– Did you follow the setup instructions as above?
– Did you enter the correct Partner Access Code in the settings?
– Do you have internet connection?
– Did you already wait 5 minutes?
Q2. The turns warning doesn’t warn me on a street crossing or it warns me when there’s no turn nearby
This is possible, the data field doesn’t know streets or path ways and have to calculate turns as the route progresses.
Turns are defined as:
- More than 100 meter away from the previous turn
- The angle from this course point to the next course point is more than 30 degrees
DonationsThe Navigator data field is fully functional without donating. Donations are optional but encouraged from from within the data field with a small encouragement text. If you find Navigator useful you can show your appreciation by donating an amount (suggested donation: 5 euro) on my PayPal account (mention the name of the app “Navigator”)
After donation you will receive a donation key on your paypal email address which which will enable the option to warn on turns and remove the “Like it? Donate!” message from the data field. (this is a manual process, but normally you should receive a key within 24 hours).
(SPECIAL PROMO – donate 19 euro or more and get a key that’s valid for all my current and future apps )
FeedbackDid you like this article?
- Post in the comments section below!