Frequently asked questionsQ1: There is no weather data downloaded / The location of the weather is not correct / …
Getting weather to your watch requires 3 things to be right:
- you need to be connected with your phone via bluetooth (go to Garmin Connect Mobile and synchronize your watch to force an active connection)
- your phone needs to be connected with the internet (to be able to download weather info)
- In the settings of the app set the default longitude/latitude to your home location (when possible the watchface will try to acquire the location of your last gps activity, but when you enter the coordinates of your home city in the settings then the watchface has a sensible backup option).
(TIP: change the right chart option to Weather + Time Last Update to see when the last weather update was executed)
Q2: Why is the weather shown for Brussels and not for my location?
In the settings of the app set your own default longitude/latitude to your home location (just google for “your location” longitude latitude). When possible the watchface will try to acquire the location of your last gps activity, but when failing to retrieve this it’ll use the coordinates of the longitude/latitude you’ve entered)
Q3: How often is the weather being refreshed?
A simple question with a not so straightforward answer as it’s dependant on several factors:
- the fastest weather refresh rate is normally 2 hours, after filling in a donation key the fastest refresh rate becomes 15 minutes.
- the refresh happens at regular intervals and at the moment the refresh happens there needs to be an active bluetooth connection, an active internet connection and a stored gps location (see Q1)
- the data of the weather comes from the YAHOO! weather service, if the service address returns an invalid response (or times out) then the cached data stored in the watch face remains to be shown
- the data of the weather comes from the YAHOO! weather service, this service also caches data and is also dependant on eg weather stations to provide data to YAHOO! So It could be that there is no new data and that the data just remains the same….
Q4: Can I verify whether the weather fetch was sucessful?
Yes, you can set the right chart option to Weather + Time of last update. When the weather fetch is succesful it will show the time of the latest fetch in the foreground color (white by default), when the weather fetch returned an error it will show in red (See Q1 on how to resolve. For additional debug info set up a debug session, see instructions at the bottom of this article.
Q5: The weather, the active heart rate chart and/or the option to show seconds is not available on my device
- fetching the weather requires the ability to connect to the internet which is not possible on Connect IQ 1 devices
- always on seconds and the active heart rate chart feature depend on the always on technology to provide updates to the screen while in low power mode (this is only supported in fenix 5 derivatives and vivoactive 3 derivatives)
Q6: The sunrise/sunset time is incorrect
The sunrise time is calculated once a day and is dependent on getting a good gps fix:
- the gps location is only known for a very short period in watch faces (only shortly after doing a gps activity). To let the watchface acquire your location do the following: start a gps activity (eg run) and wait till you have acquired a good gps signal. stop the activity and go back to the watchface.
Q7: Can I force an update of the weather and or force an update of the sunrise/sunset times?
This doesn’t work on all watches, but it’ll work on most:
- setup everything as explained in Q1 and/or Q5
- uninstall the watch face (see Q8) (you will lose all your customizations by the uninstallation)
- install the watch face
Q8: I try to install the watch face but the Connect IQ store tells me I need a firmware update while I’m already at the latest version!
Solution 1: Disconnect your watch from the usb cable, likely there’s an update on your watch ready to be installed. Install this update and retry.
Solution 2: Restore your watch to factory settings from within the System menu on your watch. (Be sure to upload your activities to Garmin Connect first as all user data will be wiped from the watch.)
Q9: I can not remove the watch face
To delete the Data Lover watch face you first have to make another face the active watch face.
Sometimes when auto-updating a watch face the settings were updated to the new version but the program itself was not yet updated and was stuck on the previous version. To fix this remove the watch face (see Q9) and reinstall the watch face. (you will have to reapply your customization to the settings when removing and installing)
Q11: I have another question!
There are several channels for support:
- You can post your question below this article
- You can post your question in the forum support topic
- You can use the contact developer link on the app description page
DownloadThe watchface can be downloaded from the Connect IQ Store
DonationsThe watch face is fully functional without donating (there is a very occasional small message to encourage donations, refreshing the weather info occurs at a slightly higher rate after donation).
If you like the watch face you can show your appreciation by donating a small amount (suggested donation: 3 euro) on my PayPal account (Mention the name of the app: “Data Lover”). After donation you will receive a donation key on your PayPal email address which will remove the encouragement message from the watch face. (this email is a manual process, if you do not receive a donation key within 48 hours contact me via the contact developer link)
(SPECIAL PROMO: in case you like several of my apps and you want to remove donation encouragement messages from all of them, then donating one big amount might be beneficial to you. When you donate 19 euro or more you’ll get one key that’s valid for ALL my current AND future apps: https://www.paypal.me/PeterDeDeckerCiq/19eur )
Debugging setup (for advanced users)The watch face contains a debug option, to set this up follow these steps:
1/ Uninstall the watch face (See Q9)
2/ Install the watch face and turn on the debug option in the settings
3/ Connect the watch with an usb cable to your computer and browse to the folder \GARMIN\APPS Remember the most recent name of the PRG file
4/ Browse to the folder \GARMIN\APPS\LOGS and create a txt file with the same name as the most recent prg file 5/ After running the watchface for a while the txt file should contain debug info about sun events and weather retrieval
FeedbackDid you like this article?
- Post in the comments section below!